Monday, April 6, 2009

lea on animals and animal photography




















These photographs are from an online exhibit called Ashes and Snow. I discovered them several years ago and strongly believe that, of all photographs I've ever seen, these affect me the most profoundly. The series claims to be entirely unaltered film images, but I havent decided if I believe it or not. So! Why am I affected so deeply? Everyone is passionate about some kind of belief or way of life. For example, the idiot who lives below me believes in a way of life in which the brain is rendered numb due to constant, repetitive, bass beats.
I however, believe very strongly in a way of life that is deeply interconnected with, and respectful of, nature and specifically animals. (This belief has lead me into vegetarianism!) These images move me very deeply in that the human figures are often represented as small, submissive, and peaceful- while the animals are empowered. Humans, just like wild cats, elephants, mice, birds, apples and grape fruits grow out of the earth; in exactly the same way that pears grow on a pear tree. We do not own one another, and "animals" were not placed on the earth for humans "to eat" as some horrendous religious types think.
It is my wish that some day soon humans learn that we are animals- and that we assume our place as equals amongst them and amongst the earth that produced us.




0 comments:

Post a Comment